Monday, February 18, 2013

A Feel Good Book About a Cat: Dewey

Hey there boys and girls. So I'm sorry about ditching you last week. As many of you know, since most of my readers, I'm assuming, are from New England, we got hit by a blizzard last weekend. And when I say blizzard, I mean snow all the way up to my waist. Yeah.We lost power, we lost heat, I may have even lost a little of my dignity while trying to heat soup with a tiny decorative votive candle. Needless to say I was a little busy, and though I certainly didn't forget about you on Monday, I did decide I had other matters less exciting, but certainly a little more pressing than Box or Bookshelf--like shoveling myself out (literally, we were almost trapped in the house by snow).

Anyway, though we did get more snow this weekend (talk about adding insult to injury), I am back. And this week, though I'm keeping it short, I promise it'll be sweet. I've chosen sort of an old favorite, Dewey, by Vicki Myron this week, because it's a nice uplifting story. Since I finished my temp job this week and am now unemployed (hopefully not for long) I just kind of needed one of those, and I though maybe some of you guys might too.

So, Dewey  is the nonfiction story of a library cat and the woman who "owns" him, though I use the term loosely because he is a living breathing cat, and a library cat at that--he belongs, not just to Myron, but also to all the people who's lives he touches, including, even, the reader. As a library cat, Dewey (a cat and the title character), works his way into the hearts of many and revives not only just the library he is a part of, but also the lifts the spirits of the people he comes into contact with while stalking through the bookshelves there. Since I myself am a cat lover, and proud "owner" (though you can't really own cats in my opinion, simply live with and love them) of two of my own cats, this book immediately caught my eye--there's a gorgeous orange tabby, Dewey Readmore Books, looking regally out at you from the cover and his golden gaze just kind of makes you want to know his story.

His story, by the way, is this--he's found by the library director, Vicki Myron, of the Spencer Public Library in Iowa, abandoned in the book return slot. After Myron and the staff nurse the tiny, cold kitten back to health, he becomes a mascot of sort, slinking, jumping, prowling, around the library, climbing into laps, perching on shelves, and just generally doing the quirky and endearing things that cats do. Meanwhile, amidst Dewey's amusing antics, frolicking, and unassuming affection,  Myron shares her own story as she deals with both the triumphs and heartbreaks of life.

What can I say, I'm just a sap for the cute and cuddly. Inspirational animal stories turn me into a puddle of "Awwww!." I love all those cheesy movies too--Air Bud, Black Beauty, Milo and Otis. Pretty much you put an adorable animal in it I'll watch it and I'll probably cry like the little girl that I am. And don't even get me started on how much I adore cats--I'm sure, readers, you already find me crazy enough without letting me start ranting about cats like the crazy cat lady I will probably one day be. I loved this book--it tugged at my heartstrings. It's the nonfiction book that finally convinced me that I do like nonfiction and that it can be interesting, not the completely and utterly boring babble I was convinced that it was for most of my young life. I'm personally grateful to this book for helping me grow up a little by introducing me, gently and endearingly, to the world of nonfiction that I was missing.

Really, in all seriousness, if you hate cats or nonfiction, you'll hate this book, because it most definitely involves both of those things. Otherwise it's a pretty good read. I mean, it's not some riveting, controversial exposé, or the most shocking and mysterious of conspiracy theories. It's just a heartwarming story about a cat. Sometimes that's not enough for a reader, but sometimes that's all you need.

I will caution you, you shouldn't ask too much of this book--the writing is nothing that will win awards really, but it is honest, relatable, and readable. The story is not a major innovation or anything that will eventually be considered a classic by literary critics across the globe. But if you're just looking for nice book to read some snowy weekend while you're stuck at home and feeling a little down, then I'd say this is the one for you. I personally kept it on my shelf for just such occasions and I'm glad I did. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry (or at least tear up) and it might leave you with a nice warm fuzzy feelings. So if those aren't things you want--and, I'll admit, sometimes that's not what I'm looking for in a book--then this might be a book for a
nother time. Otherwise it's worth giving a spot on your shelf, and perhaps in your heart.

1 comment:

  1. It's the nonfiction book that finally convinced me that I do like nonfiction and that it can be interesting, not the completely and utterly boring babble I was convinced that it was for most of my young life. Interesting blog, i really enjoyed it during reading it.

    ReplyDelete