Thursday, November 29, 2012

Give the Gift of Books!

So, I guess you've already noticed that I took a break this week on account of Thanksgiving. You'd think the break would have given me more time to read, but in reality it didn't. Unfortunately I suffer from motion sickness, which I think is one of the biggest curses I could have been dealt as a reader. All the time I spend in the car could be better spent ravenously devouring whichever book I'm reading at the moment. Instead, my eyes are chained to the windows, watching pointless, repetitive scenery and lamenting the many chapters I could have gone through were I not forced, on threat of throwing up or passing out, to watch the road.

Basically, in more direct terms: the four hour car ride each way from Boston to Pleasant Valley, NY to visit my family did not translate into extra reading time. And, once I arrived, I was too enamored with family time to do much other than loudly rehash fond family memories, and stare adoringly at my mother, sister, grandma, my sister's cat, and pretty much anyone else who happened to share even the slightest connection to my family tree.

So anyway, not too much reading time over Thanksgiving break. But, since returning to MA, my love affair with books and the written word in general has reclaimed me with a vengeance. And today, after a trip to Barnes and Noble, and a sudden, fierce and somewhat conceited wave of appreciation for my own vocabulary, I was inspired to write this post about giving the gift of literacy.

Last night when my boyfriend and I were checking out at Barnes and Noble, the woman asked if we'd like to donate a book to the local faction of Cradles to Crayons. We were immediately seized and delighted by the spirit of giving and picked out an old favorite, Curious George, to add to our total and add to the life of a less fortunate child. This morning, when thinking on that happy opportunity  to brighten someone else's life, I was struck by how fortunate I am to have had my love of reading fostered and fed by my wonderful family throughout my life. Every Christmas my grandmother has given me a beautiful new illustrated children's book with a loving note inside. My mother has driven me, on countless occasions, to the bookstore of my choosing to spend my birthday money, and often some of her  own money (to cover the difference) on piles of books. Last year, on hearing of my lack of space for books, they gave me a Nook so that I could carry a library's-worth of books wherever I go. Since then, various family members (mostly my grandma) have continued the generosity by keeping my Nook stocked with gift cards so that I can buy a book whenever the mood strikes me without having to worry about my limited supply of money.

My family isn't wealthy, in fact we often struggle to make ends meet: they couldn't buy me a car for graduation or pay out of pocket for my college education like some crazy-rich parents (who often end up spoiling their kids into entitled jerkdom). What they've always given me, I think, is something much more valuable. On top of their never ending love and support, they've given me literacy. They've given me unendingly useful reading comprehension, writing aptitude, and just an unashamed passion for the written word. Without this, I'd be lost. Without my command of the English language it would be so much harder to get my point across--to share my ideas and feelings in exactly the right way. And without that ability to describe all the facets of life, I almost feel like it looses some of it's sparkle--or at least the sparkle is harder to see.

Coming to this realization, I was also reminded me that some people are far less fortunate. I strongly believe that, when possible, we should all do our part to share whatever knowledge and privilege we have with others. Whether you have technological expertise, an eye for design, scientific genius, money, etc. I believe everyone should make an effort to donate it, not only throughout the holiday season, but also throughout their lives. Though I may not have some of those things, I do have words, and I fully intend to share them. So today I want to take advantage of the public platform afforded by my blog and social media to encourage all you fellow book lovers to give that gift you were given.


You can donate, like I did, at your local Barnes and Noble, or find some other way to make sure that others are sharing the benefits of literacy. It's a gift and a skill that sometimes people overlook. Even I don't always stop and take a moment to think about how important it has been, is, and will be to me throughout my life. Unfortunately, many of the people who do realize its importance on a regular basis realize because they are unable to get enough of it. So donate your old books, donate your time and tutor someone who struggles with reading and writing, or read out loud to whoever you can get your hands on. (Maybe don't chase people down with your favorite paperback or anything, but you know what I mean). I encourage you to also check out the links I have in the sidebar that say donate, or check out this website, Playing By The Book, where someone has taken the time to provide an updated list of reading and literacy charities worldwide. Honestly, do whatever floats your boat. Just take the time to try and instill in others that passion for the reading, writing and words.

No comments:

Post a Comment